Thoughts from the Basement

Sometimes I read, sometimes I knit, but mostly, I just sit in a Basement.

Friday, November 17, 2006

White shirts, Yellow britches

Go to hell you sons of bitches!!!!!!!!!! That's right readers, its LSU week and I am ready for what is to come. Now good sense tells me that we have no chance tomorrow night against the #9 Tigers, but let me tell you when it comes to these two teams, anything can happen. True LSU holds the series advantage 53-37-4 but this is a long heated rivalry and the outcome is not always so easily predicted. Because I have cousins that grew up in Red Stick, the Ole Miss-LSU matchup was always extra fun for us as kids. The winner had bragging rights all year long. Because my dad was a huge Ole Miss fan, I grew up listening to the games on the radio and learning to hate those Bayou Bengals. When I arrived as a student at Ole Miss I was ready for the battles that would ensue. The 1998 OT win is probably among my favorite Ole Miss football memories. We were right on the goal line where the game winning pass was caught and let me tell you, that student section went absolutely crazy. Another fun memory was in 2001, listening to my Eli Manning led Rebel's defeat the Tigers in Death Valley 35-24. The 2003 Rebs-Tigers matchup was one of the most stressful nights I have ever endured as a football fan. I wish that it had turned out differently. Sure over the last few years, the Rebs have struggled to compete with the Tigers, but it is still an enjoyable rivalry especially to many older fans of both teams. Here's to hoping that tomorrow nights game is another one of the great ones.
Today Elvis and I delivered his shoe box for Operation Christmas Child. This is such a worthwhile endeavor and is a great project for kids to help out on. Elvis had lots of fun picking out toys and other items for a boy his age. I think that this will be something that he and I do together for a long time. It really made me stop and think about how fortunate we are and how lucky I am that I can do things for my kids all the time without thinking about the cost. I really would encourage you to participate in this charity or one similar. It really helps you to focus in on what is important in life.
Oh, before I forget. My Rebs are also in basketball action this weekend. All in all it should be a fun weekend for Rebel sports. And I can't forget my adopted team, the Lafayette Commodores take on the West Point football team in high school playoff action.
PS My son's real name is not Elvis- do you think I would do that to a child?

1 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your son's name isn't Elvis why have I been calling him that all this time??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Orbitz Travel